When I was about 11 years old I got sick with a bad
cold or flu. At the same time I had also developed a goiter. My eyes
protruded and my neck had a tire like bulge. The doctor ran some tests
and we discovered I had a thyroid condition. It would require daily
medication and was easy enough to treat. However, I also wasn't
growing. At the time I was hovering well below 5', despite my parents
being taller than average. My dad is 6' and my mom is 5'8". Further
tests lead to a more devastating diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
(TS). Essentially I was born missing one of the two X chromosomes every
girl and woman has. This leads to short stature, infertility, and a
variety of other possible complications. This is a rare condition
affecting 1 out of 2,000 to 5,000 female births, and only about 1% to 2%
of embryos with this condition are actually born. With this diagnosis
my life became a regular series of doctors appointments as I was growing
up. I was placed on a protocol by my specialist, and as her oldest
patient I was a test subject for her as well. This protocol consisted
of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and Estrogen Replacement Therapy. I had a
sonogram of my kidneys to make sure they were formed correctly. I
regularly got x-rays to see how my bones were fusing. This was
certainly a difficult thing to face during adolescence, when a child may
already feel different, to have a genetic test confirm, indeed you are
quite different. I could get angry at God for giving me this to deal
with, but I never have. I have the sense that I am lucky to have been
given the life I was, despite it's imperfections. It is part of my
life, and something I have to deal with on a regular basis. I will
never have a child of my own, and can only get pregnant using a donor
egg and IVF. Adoption is something I have tossed around, and the idea
of giving a child a home and family that needs one seems to be the route
I would feel comfortable taking. Why try to crate a child when I
would face a more than risky pregnancy, why not find that child who
needs me? I feel that might be my purpose if I am to become a mother. I
am at risk for heart issues, diabetes, eye problems, osteoporosis,
hearing loss, just to name a few. Since there are limited women and
girls with this condition to study, it isn't easy for doctors to know
with certainty what issues a TS patient will face as they age. I did
reports on the condition in school to learn more, and had for a time
thought I wanted to go into the field of medicine specializing in this
and similar conditions. My hope was to give assistance to others facing
what I had faced. Although I realized quickly my squeamishness would
not be conducive to a career in medicine. Besides and physical issues,
there are the psychological issues that go with a genetic condition.
Dealing with infertility from such a young age is not easy. It
certainly sets a TS teenage girl apart from her peers. Feeling like you
don't quite measure up to society standards is never an easy thing to
deal with, and knowing how you don't measure up doesn't make it any more
palatable. It isn't that TS makes a girl or woman masculine, but you
certainly don't feel like you are quite an average woman. It is hard to
feel like you can be accepted for who you are, when you feel so apart
from the average. Fortunately I am taller than the average TS woman,
although this brings me to the conundrum of sharing TS with them, but
somehow being different from them. I feel that I can't even fit in with
TS right somehow, because I tower over them, so sometimes I feel where
do I really fit in? Where can I be accepted? Hard things to wrap my
head around. Yes, every woman has her body issues, but this condition
is so linked to your womanhood, accepting yourself is not without
difficulty. This diagnosis may not have been the most devastating by
some standards, but it certainly changed how my life would play out. I
have faced unique challenges, and will most likely continue to do so for
the rest of my life.K
No comments:
Post a Comment